Stuff 2: The Backstory

Lego-esque

STUFF

Just over a year ago, I was on my way to de-stuffifying my condo.  I had made excellent progress.  Here’s a short history of how I came to be in this current predicament:

I moved from Virginia to Florida in 2000.  As I contemplated the move, I decided that this was the perfect time to downsize. You see, I was moving down to take care of my mom and I knew that she had lots of stuff too and if I gave my version away, I could always borrow hers.

So… I’m happy to say that through yard sales, donations and trips to the dumpster, I rid myself of approximately half my stuff back then. And, when I set up my condo (one floor below my mom’s), I was thrilled with the result.  It was zen-like in its simplicity.

Fast forward a few years. My mother had passed away and I had crammed her stuff and my stuff into one condo.  At first, I didn’t mind, but eventually I needed to take a more realistic look at what I had. Did I really need all this STUFF. The condo was no longer zen-like. Far from it. It was heavy and all the STUFF seemed to press down on me.

So… I set about, with the help of some friends,  de-stuffifying my surroundings.

2/2015 – My brother came to stay a couple of days. He decided to empty the frig and pantry of all of their contents. That gave me the start I needed.

2/2015 – Nancy came to stay with me for a week. She completely gutted the kitchen and a couple of closets of all the STUFF there. Wow… no turning back. Now I had a full-fledged downsizing project underway.

3/2015 – In March and April, Gina the Magnificent helped me de-STUFF the rest of the condo room by room.

I WAS SITTING PRETTY…. AND EVERYTHING SEEMED LIGHT AND AIRY AT LAST.

1/2016 – things began to unravel...  For several years, I have rented a studio down on the river for my art and writing endeavors.  It was a great place and, as an artist, I had, over time, loaded it with all the tools of the trade. Unfortunately, my landlord decided to sell the building and it was no longer available to artists.  I moved all that STUFF home and fit it into the condo — helter-skelter — wherever I could.

Life’s a cycle, isn’t it?  So here I sit with the STUFF stashed as best I could, but I’m feeling the weight of it again and must do something to tame it, whittle it down, and in some cases obliterate it.

That’s the background. I hope you’ll come along with me on this journey and use the comments to tell some stories of your own and to pass along any advice you might have.

I do appreciate your presence. Keeping me company just might…..

save my sanity…

NEXT TIME:  The Plan

______________________________________

On another note… of course it is Sunday and I can’t let that keep us from the Sunday Selfie Blog Hop put on by The Cat on My Head blog.

Here’s a selfie of the boys for this week.

150405selfie

Have a great day.

hugs, Bugsy and Knuckles

This entry was posted in minimalism, The Boys and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Stuff 2: The Backstory

Love the boys’ selfies! Um, don’t talk to my human about STUFF – she and her boyfriend combined two houses’ worth of stuff when they move in together in the late 1990s and they are still trying to figure it all out! Not to mention my human’s dad’s stuff that is here that needs to be disposed of that my human has been too scattered to actually get rid of.

Your human is welcome to join in. This project is going to take quite a while and I’d love the company. … Thanks for stopping by.

2. Sharon bull says:

Know how overwhelming this can seem to accomplish. Try half hour chunk of time. We moved 19,000 lbs of stuff from Florida. Parting with stuff is hard so much stuff. Garbage and donate has become my friend. But sitting here with three bags of quilting scraps. I see quilting ideas. Dogs see new beds. I’m on a buying freeze. Something in, something out. It is all a work in progress just like life. Press on . I will also. One small step takes us miles.

Sharon…. yes, the in and out rule sounds like a good one. Right now… I’m overwhelmed. Today am making the overall plan… Thanks for stopping by.

GOOOD luck HH! This exact time In 2013 I started the process of cleaning out my parent’s home. I worked at it for 4 months, worked at it about 20 hours a week. It is mentally, emotionally and physically tiring. Pace yourself
    Nose taps to Bugsy and Knuckles! Hugs
    Madi and mom

Yes, will certainly pace myself. Hopefully this will be a downsize that will last a while… Thanks for stopping by…. and the boys say, Thanks for the hugs.

4. Great selfies, Bugsy and Knuckles! The mom really needs to get rid of a lot of stuff around here, too. She started…and was making progress…and then life got in the way and she hasn’t gotten back to it. She needs to hear about your plan. 🙂

I think I like to read about downsizing more than I like to do it, but I will conquer this pile. Thanks for the encouragement.

5. Great Selfies, guys! We have moved last year, so it was an intensely year of cleaning/throwing aways and (mind)clearing. Good Luck Pawkisses and some Extra Pawkisses for a Happy Sunday 🙂 ❤ 🙂 ❤

Thanks so much for the encouragement. We are on the brink of starting this adventure. Hope we can pull it together…. in no time. HA!!

HI B & K… SOOOO good to see you again. WE have MISSED YOU.
    WE remember when the Studio closed to you… and stuffs had to be Brought HOME to Roost…
    Downsizing is NO FUN…. We can’t wait to see and Hear about the Rest of your adventure.

HH is working on the plan today. We are busy guarding our toys and are making it clear to her that they are not part of the downsizing plan. We are looking forward to her making more room for our toys… MOL… Thanks for coming by. hugs, B and K

I am sorry your mother passed away. I am sorry you had to combine your studio and home together. I have no advice because that is a toughie, you need your materials to work. Maybe you just need some ways to organize it, I would look on Pinterest for ideas. Good luck.

That’s a lot to go through but you had 2 great helpers! Howdy boys, nice selfies!!!

Yes, great helpers who are building a fort around their toys to make sure they are not part of the downsizing… Mol… Thanks for stopping by.

9. TEDDY BEAR says:

Love the photo ofBugsy and KnucklesI too had trouble with STUFF. If you saw my apartment nowyou would think I still have overload, but it’s mostly all Ebaystuff to sell. I still do have STUFF to go through, not under control yet, but somuch more than it used to be. Anyway, it’s fun traveling down memory lane with you.

Now I understand the picture. Neat!

Love, Hugs & Prayers, Nancy

Date: Sun, 29 May 2016 04:14:37 +0000 To: teddybear4mee@hotmail.com

Thanks so much for stopping by. It’s nice to hear that others have gone through similar life events.

10. Travel light, and enjoy the freedom, keep memories close to your heat not in cupboards or boxes. Lovely selfies, who could resist the help of two fine friends. purrs ERin

11. Great selfie of the boys.

Mom Paula has some major destuffifying to do!

12. Dragonheart, Merlin and Devi says:

Fabulous selfie of the boys!

13. Katie Isabella says:

Boys, you handsome boys, you. Tell you mommy that I had done a fair job of de-junking but I have a full house again! Was your mom over in Indialantic for her studio?

14. DashKitten says:

I need to tidy up my workroom, then the house…. thi could take some time but there are books and matrials I don’t use any more so they should go to someone/where who might make use of them.

PS the boys look gorgeous!!!

15. Sabina Ayne says:

Bugsy and Knuckles are beautiful – or should I say – handsome!!!

Looking good, Bugsy and Knuckles! Stuff sure does seem to have a way of entering our lives, huh? We try (TRY) to de-stuff on a regular basis. Our house is too small to keep all of it. It’s hard, though. Good job on having a plan! Looking forward to hearing about it! 🙂

17. love seeing the boys! I am confident whatever you have in store will be good! catchatwithcarenandcody