Take a break…. That’s my advice when your writing seems stale, listless…. etc. Sometimes we push too hard to make the words come. Here are a few ways to take a break and to recharge your creativity…
1. Write something else. How often do you write just for the fun of it? Sometimes it is refreshing to just let the fiction fly. Write something crazy and wild, something no one will see. It’ll push your creativity into gear.
2. Take a break… a real one. Grab your camera or binoculars and get away from it all. Take a hike through a park, or go sit by a stream or the ocean if they are nearby. Look at nature and let you mind rest.
3. Get together with other writers. Don’t talk about your stale writing. Instead talk about something new… something that will energize you.
4. Quiet time. Just step away from your desk for a while and enjoy some quiet time. Let you mind wander.
5. Watch a movie you’ve been meaning to see. Don’t watch it to analyze the plot or dissect character development. Just watch and enjoy. Suspend the book you’re writing or any thoughts of writing and just let your mind enjoy another topic.
Have a great day.