First things first… I know it seems premature to talk about marketing before you write, but it’s not. You might have a burning desire to write your book no matter what. In that case, you might choose to skip worrying about the marketing and move to other pre-writing tasks.
But, if selling enough books to not only break even but to make a little extra is one of your goals, you may want to look at how much interest there might be out there in the world for your book. In other words, you might want to determine how hard it’s going to be to create a buzz about your book.
There are many ways to check on the marketability of a potential book. Here’s one of the easiest… we’ll talk about others in weeks to come…
One of the easiest and most inexpensive ways to determine the market for the topic of your book in advance is to…
- put up a blog about the topic*
- post interesting and valuable content about the topic
- visit other blogs on the same or similar topics and comment regularly on their blogs
- evaluate whether your blog and your conversation about your topic with others begins to create a buzz
* For those of you interested in trying this, I’ll be posting to efficiently mannage a blog for testing out your topic.
Have a great day and leave me a comment if you’re so inclined.