My schedule has been so full lately. Yesterday, I stayed home all day. I hid in my office and I wrote during most of that time. It’s always such a dilemma whether to spend time marketing my book or writing my new one. Today, I’m doing both, but I’m spending most of my time on blogs. They do take time, but they are a good marketing tool as well.
I’ve had three blogs for several years (well actually five, but three that really have people following them). Just recently, I decided to start this blog. After years of work as a freelance writer/editor, I decided to write a book about some of my writing publishing tips. I’ll work on some of them on the blog too.
Before I’ve gotten into the meat of it all, I’ve been thrown back in time to the days when my other blogs were new, and I felt I was basically blogging to the air.
It’s all interrelated, isn’t it? We blog to bring attention to our books or products or services, but we also have to market our blog so people will follow it…. so we can tell them about the other stuff… It is a circle.
So what are some of the ways we can call attention to our blogs? Here are a few:
1. Twitter: every time I put up a post, I tweet about it. I’m not sure people flock to it, but I have noticed some retweets, so someone is reading them.
2. Facebook: I’m in the habit of linking my posts to Facebook. Have you found, however, that many people read only the blurb that is published on Facebook and don’t click-through to the blog?
3. Commenting on other blogs: One of the best ways to find like-minded people to potentially follow a blog is by following and commenting on their blog. When I say commenting, I don’t mean to go by and say… “Nice post. Read my new blog.” No, I mean to read their blog seriously and comment about what he/she has written.
4. Guest posting on someone elses blog is also a good way to bring attention to your blog. Ask others if you can post a guest blog. Many people will jump at the chance since it will be one less day they will have to blog.
5. Most of all remember that it takes time to build a readership. Keep at it and it will happen.
The best way increase the chances for success of your blog is to offer information of value to others and to offer it in an entertaining way. Let me know ideas you have on building up followers to your blog.